Salary Schedule: 1A (ATTACHED)
Working Calendar:187 Days/7hours per day
There are currently over eight thousand students in Jefferson County Public Schools who speak English as a second language. They come from dozens of different cultural backgrounds and nearly every continent. Culture and country of origin can profoundly influence a child's identity, life experiences, and learning, which is why it is so important for educators to become familiar with these various global cultures. The English as a Second Language (ESL) program provides Interpretation and Translation service for the entire school district to help our schools/programs communicate effectively with limited English speaking families.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Passing score on the Kentucky Para-educator Assessment or 48 college hours
- Demonstrated proficiency in two (2) languages, English and the appropriate language
- Experience in working with children and parents with special needs, multi-cultural and multi-ethnic backgrounds
- Knowledge of or receptive to philosophy, policy and methodology of the U.S. educational system
- Effective communication skills
PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT APPLY
**If your highest education is High School or GED you must take and pass the Kentucky Paraeducational Assessment Exam. The exam is free and you have three chances to obtain a passing score. Click KPA Study Guide
to review the Kentucky Paraeducational Assessment Study Guide.
**Applicants with transcripts obtained outside the U.S. will need to have their credentials evaluated prior to being referred for vacancies. Contact an approved agency from the following list: click here