Website Dreams with Wings
Dreams with Wings
Direct Support and Community Living Support Professionals are needed at Dreams with Wings to assist in the day to day operations of the agency’s services!
What is Dreams With Wings? DWW was founded over 20 years ago as a non-profit organization working with intellectually challenged individuals to help them lead a normal life. We provide activities and transportation to adult day training to improve levels of independence for individuals with developmental disabilities in our programs and communities.
If you are looking for employment with heart, meeting great people and enjoy a ‘service’ type of calling, then Dreams With Wings has a place for you!
Direct Support Professional Job Description
The person in this position is responsible for the care, training, safety and supervision of the individuals living in the Staffed Residence, Community Living Supports and in Adult Day Training. Support and assistance will be based on individual need. The DSP will carry out the programs that have been developed for the individuals. This role must function as a member of the Dreams with Wings team and may provide supplementary service to any individual served by Dreams with Wings.
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) will report to the Manager of Staffed Residence, Director of Community Services or the Director of Enrichment Programs.
1. The Direct Support Professional fully embraces the mission, philosophy, vision and core values of Dreams With Wings.
2. The DSP will assist in the development of individual goals with the individual and significant others. He or she will encourage implementation of goals with the objective of decreasing dependency and increasing self-reliance whenever possible.
3. The DSP encourages and assists individuals in exercising their rights. Encourages constructive ways to respond to conflict and develops strategies for resolution in which all parties can benefit, whenever possible.
4. The DSP works to enhance community participation and facilitates the cultivation of friendships. He/She provides guidance and direction on social and judgment issues, encouragement and facilitations of natural supports and health and safety issues.
5. The DSP will coach individuals on daily living skills, self-administration of medicines (if appropriate), personal hygiene and personal financial responsibilities as necessary. Maintains required documentation that reflects progress and concerns regarding individuals. Staff may only administer medication if he/she has medication administration training.
6. The DSP will provide physical assistance as well as assistance with ambulation, dressing, grooming, feeding, toileting, bathing, meal planning and preparation, laundry, and home care and cleaning as dictated by the individual need.
7. The DSP is responsible along with the House Manager/Director of Enrichment Programs or the Director of Community Services for day-to-day operations of the Staffed Residence/Adult Day Training/CLS/Personal Assistance/Community Access programs, including physical maintenance, housekeeping, individual schedules and transportation. The individuals residing in the Staffed Residence are dependent on the DSP being on time when they arrive home from their job or day program. DSPs must be on time and if they are running late they must make arrangements for another staff to be there and notify the House Manager.
8. The DSP understands that individuals with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities or Autism, may have behavior disorders or physical disabilities that may require lifting, crisis management or the provision of medical procedures such as feeding tubes or oxygen. While individuals may come to us with some of these issues, they also may develop over time. The needs of the individuals supported will/can change and the work of the DSP may involve lifting, provision of necessary medical procedures or violent or aggressive behavior from the individual supported.
9. The DSP maintains required records and operates within state regulations and established Dreams with Wings standards.
10. The DSP attends staff trainings mandated by DDID and meetings as scheduled including but not limited to any mandatory trainings scheduled by Dreams With Wings.
11. The DSP serves as a professional and role model, abiding by ethical standards for the individuals that we serve.
12. The DSP will perform other duties as assigned.
13. The DSP is responsible for ensuring that individuals are clean and shaved everyday.
14. The DSP is responsible for ensuring that individuals are involved in community activities, leisure outreach, grocery shopping, pharmacy, local restaurants, neighborhood associations and going to church. When attending group activities the DSP works with all staff to ensure maximum participation of all attendees.
15. The DSP is responsible for ensuring that all required paper work is completed regarding outcomes for individuals and required DWW tracking sheets.
16. DSP may be involved in vacations for individuals in our program.
The Direct Support Professional will possess the minimum qualifications:
• Education: High School Diploma or the equivalent is preferred.
• May require lifting of an individual.
• Be at least 18 years of age or have at least one year of experience as a direct-contact staff serving persons with intellectual/developmental disabilities or autism
• Training in First Aid/CPR is required and can be acquired during our onboard training.
• Annual TB test is required as well as random drug screenings.
• Experience working with individuals with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities and Autism is strongly preferred.
• Valid driver’s license and proof of up to date auto insurance is required.
• Full-time or part-time; evening and weekend work as scheduled. Additional hours may be required.
• Non-exempt, Hourly Occupational Exposure Classification
• All employees in this job classification are reasonably anticipated to have routine occupational exposure to potentially hazardous blood borne pathogens.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org