GoWild is a free social community for outdoor enthusiasts.
GoWild is looking for a Backend Developer who’s hungry, ready to make their mark, and wants to be a key player in a rapidly growing startup.
Love the outdoors, too? You might be perfect.
We move fast, and we need someone who can learn quickly and adapt to an ever-evolving social commerce landscape. You’ll work directly under our President, and alongside our incredible engineering team.
We’re looking for an engineer who likes to try new solutions, realizing they may fail. You’re expected to have failures here—it’s how we grow.
This role will be responsible for all levels of backend development tasks, from managing the MySQL databases and improving queries, helping GoWild scale as we add new members, rewriting and improving the APIs used by the iOS and Android clients, improving our security protocols, and integrating our ecommerce solution with some of the biggest names in the outdoors.
GoWild was named social app of the year in 2021, and we’re aiming to do it again in 2022. If you are at the top of your game, meet the expectations, and want to join a culture that is fun, passionate and wild, apply now.
GoWild is based in Louisville, Ky. This position can be remote or in Louisville, Ky.
- Strong MySQL database knowledge and experience
- Experience with PHP
- Experience managing scalable web applications (ideally Amazon Web Services)
- Ability to take an existing codebase and quickly iterate features and improvements in a high-demand environment
- Experience with git repositories
- Desire to write clean, well commented and tested code
Bonus Skills, But Not Necessarily Required
- Experience building third-party integrations
- Experience with EDI
- Experience with eCommerce, third-party logistics, or warehouse management systems (including Shopify, BigCommerce, and WooCommerce)
- Experience with load balancing and scaling server architecture
- Must be a self-starter and driven
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills
- No egos. Seriously.
- Must have the ability to manage up. Your boss expects you to speak up if they’re wrong.
- Flexible work schedule. We know people have other responsibilities (kids, pets, family members) to take care of and accommodate life’s unplanned moments.
- Great culture. Failure is encouraged here. Without failure, we’re not taking risks. Without risks, there is no reward. No one is here just for a paycheck, we all strive for better.
- Great healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental)
- We buy your residential hunting and fishing license, and will pay for up to $100 annually in backcountry permits.
- Fun outings throughout the year. We also have an annual outdoor retreat (2018: Hiking in the Red River Gorge; 2019: Fly fishing in the Ozarks; 2020: Kentucky hiking & cornhole tournament; 2021: Hiking and fishing in Red River Gorge)
- Tons of upward mobility opportunity. We encourage people to try new things, push your boundaries and take chances.
GoWild pays a competitive salary for all of our positions. We will quickly disclose upon request.
How to Apply
Applications must have a cover letter acknowledging why you are interested in being a part of our team. We require cover letters because we care about the person, not just their job history.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit timetogowild.com.