Website New Hope Services, Inc
NEW HOPE DEVELOPMENT SERVICES, INC.
Job Title: Controller
Reports To: SVP/Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Job Grade: Grade 17
Prepared Date: 06/01/2020
Approved By: SVP/Chief Administrative Officer
Revision Date: 08/04/2021
Reporting to the SVP/CFO, the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all accounting and reporting activities with NHS & NHDS.
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
The Controller will lead day-to-day finance operations of the organization, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and grants administration. The Controller will ensure that NHDS/NHS has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with management and their staff, not only to educate regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budget actual expenditures.
- The Controller will be involved in and support audit activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist in annual budgeting and planning process.
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and in financial operating models and delivery.
- Manage organization cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the Executive Team.
- Oversee the activities of the Corporate Accounting Department for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements, and annual audits and annual budgets.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls which verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the Company’s value.
- Assure 990 tax returns are completed and filed in a timely fashion and in compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Supervise the Account Payable Clerk, Financial Services Clerk, and Payroll Clerk.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions.
- Reconcile the Notes Payables for both corporations.
- Reconcile the balances between the two corporations.
- Review the reconciliations of the Due to/From accounts for tax credit deals prepared by Accounts Receivable Housing Specialist.
- Take over the duties of the NHDS billing and compliance person when they are out.
- Prepare weekly/monthly/6-month cash flow projections.
- Reconcile monthly cash accounts for both NHS and NHDS.
- Prepare the financial information for review by the CFO for the Finance and Board Meeting.
- Prepare the NHDS financial reports for my review and approval.
- Reconcile the property accounts for both NHS and NHDS back to the Management Companies financials.
- Review monthly and prepare comments regarding the financials of each apartment complex.
- Prepare for review Journal entries to reconcile accounts. Once reviewed and approved then post.
- Prepare entries for review by the CFO, once approved post to NHDS monthly.
- Enter monthly recurring entries for NHDS.
- Field questions from staff and managers regarding NHDS.
- Supply info for the annual 990 of NHS and NHDS.
- Perform final approvals of weekly check runs.
- Attend housing trainings as needed to become familiar with our housing division.
- Cross train on Property Tax preparation.
NON ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
Perform tasks as requested and held directly responsible to the Supervisor.
Serves as a positive role model, exhibits high ethical standards, and promotes the mission and values of NHS.
Maintain familiarity with and review the personnel policies and procedures of New Hope Services (Employee Handbook).
Contribute to the team effort to accomplish the mission of New Hope Services, Inc. & NHDS.
Strong general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and banking working knowledge.
Very computer literate – spreadsheet proficient (hardware and software).
Contractual negotiation a plus.
Strong leadership and management skills necessary to effectively and efficiently manage the day to day operations of the Fiscal Department, under the direction of the CFO.
Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point and other Data Base programs).
Latest computer technology – Nav 2013, INTACT and Vertex software.
EDUCATION/YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree with major in Accounting or Finance required
Minimum 5 years of experience in public accounting or internal accounting department required
Minimum 3 years of experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch; talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and distance vision.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
NHS will provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, sex, age, disability, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, political belief or activity, or status as a veteran.
The policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
It is the policy of NHS to comply with all the relevant and applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). NHS will not discriminate against any qualified employee or job applicant with respect to any terms, privileges, or conditions of employment because of a person’s physical or mental disability. Any applicant or employee who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact the Human Resources Department and request such an accommodation. NHS will make reasonable accommodation wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with disabilities, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made do not require significant difficulty or expense.
ACCESS AUTHORITY FOR PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION (PHI)
This position has limited access to Consumer PHI, subject to minimum necessary and need to know, as needed to perform services.
This job description is not all-inclusive. The SVP/CFO may add other duties and responsibilities as necessary. I have received a copy of the above description of my current position. I have read and reviewed the duties and responsibilities of which I am responsible, and am aware of the physical and minimum requirements of this position. I understand that I am accountable for the duties and responsibilities as described. I agree to maintain confidentiality regarding all personnel and financial matters of the organization. I agree to contribute to the team effort of accomplishing the Mission Statements of NHS. I understand that this document does not create an employment contract and that I am employed by New Hope Services, Inc. on an “at will basis.”
To apply for this job please visit www.joblinkapply.com.