Ohio Valley Educational Cooperative Head Start
OHIO VALLEY EDUCATIONAL COOPERATIVE
PROGRAM: Early Head Start
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director
Local Area Manager (LAM)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Child Development Associate credential for Infant and Toddler required. Associate degree in Early Childhood Education preferred. One year of experience in Early Childhood Education (ECE) preferred.
Must be able to stand, sit, bend and walk for periods of time to meet job requirements. Must have physical and TB test, and be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Must have reliable transportation to travel to and from work, home visits, trainings and meetings (will receive mileage reimbursement based on OVEC’s travel policy). All Head Start positions must clear and pass state criminal history records check and sex offender registry check prior to hire date and pass Child Abuse and Neglect state registry check (CAN) within 90 days of hire.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Primary Caregiver will manage the classroom, conduct home visits and conferences, playground supervision of children, prepare materials for learning activities, guide children in learning activities, provide a safe and sanitary environment for children, and work with parents in reference to planning for children’s needs. The Primary Caregiver will supervise the Caregiver and Floater.
• Know Head Start Performance Standards as well as Kentucky Childcare Licensing regulations and Head Start and OVEC Policies and Procedures.
• Know and understand Child Care Licensing, STARS, ITERS (Infant Toddler Environmental Rating Scale), and ECERS (Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale) as applicable to position.
• Planning and preparation of learning activities for infant and toddler children.
• Use daily routines as teachable moments.
• Develop and implement daily curriculum.
• Maintain a clean and organized classroom.
• Encourage parental involvement in program.
• Participate and interact with children.
• Discuss child’s progress with parents/legal guardians.
• Complete classroom, lunchtime, naptime, and playground supervision of children.
• Provide for health and safety of children.
• Complete screenings/assessments and anecdotal observations of children.
• Complete daily health observation of children.
• Document children’s growth and work over a period of time through assessments and other strategies.
• Participate in all trainings and staff meetings sponsored by agency or recommended trainings for professional learning.
• Promote personal care routines including toileting and/or diapering, hand washing, brushing teeth, and other preventative health practices.
• Promote Literacy within the classroom.
• Attend monthly site meetings.
• Maintain required paperwork and meet deadlines.
• Establish and maintain a positive, productive working relationship with all staff.
• Arrange for coverage of the classroom with instructions for the substitute. Notify the LAM and other staff at your site about your absence and who will be substituting for the day.
• Work with children who are “at Risk” or have special needs.
• Assist families with transition between Early Head Start, Head Start, and other preschool programs.
• Work with the Family Advocate to support family relationships.
• Meet with Family Advocate weekly to discuss specific needs of families or attendance issues, and collaborate to resolve any areas of concern.
• Additional duties as assigned.
COMPENSATION: Annual contract with a maximum contract of up to 251 days. Salary based on experience in accordance to OVEC’s Head Start/Early Head Start Classified Employee Salary Schedule.
To apply for this job please visit www.ovec.org.