Ohio Valley Educational Cooperative Head Start
OHIO VALLEY EDUCATIONAL COOPERATIVE
(Full Day Full Year/Center Based)
PROGRAM: Head Start
RESPONSIBLE TO: Local Area Manager (LAM)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High School diploma/GED required. At a minimum, have a CDA credential or a state-awarded certificate that meets or exceeds the requirements for a CDA credential, are enrolled in a program that will lead to an associate or baccalaureate degree (OR) are enrolled in a CDA credential program to be completed within two years of the time of hire. One year of experience in Early Childhood Education (ECE) preferred.
Must be able to stand, sit, bend and walk for periods of time to meet job requirements. Must have physical and TB test, and be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Must have reliable transportation to travel to and from work, home visits, trainings and meetings (will receive mileage reimbursement based on OVEC’s travel policy). All Head Start positions must clear and pass state criminal history records check and sex offender registry check prior to hire date and pass Child Abuse and Neglect state registry check (CAN) within 90 days of hire.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direct supervision of the Teacher, the Teacher Assistant will assist in managing the classroom, playground supervision of children, preparing materials for learning activities, participating with and guiding children in learning activities, assist in providing safe and sanitary environments for children and working with parents/legal guardians in reference to planning for children’s needs.
• Know Head Start Performance Standards as well as Kentucky Childcare Licensing regulations and Head Start and OVEC Policies and Procedures.
• Know and understand Child Care Licensing, STARS, ITERS (Infant Toddler Environmental Rating Scale), and ECERS (Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale) as applicable to position.
• Assist Teacher in the planning and preparation of learning activities for preschool children.
• Use daily routines as teachable moments.
• Assist Teacher in implementation of daily curriculum.
• Assist in maintaining a clean and organized classroom.
• Encourage parental involvement in program.
• Participate and interact with children
• Assist Teacher in discussing child’s progress with parents/legal guardians.
• Assist with classroom, lunchtime, naptime, and playground supervision of children.
• Provide for health and safety of children.
• Assist in screenings/assessments and anecdotal observations of children.
• Assist in daily health observation of children.
• Participate in all trainings and staff meetings sponsored by agency or recommended trainings for professional learning.
• Promote personal care routines including toileting and/or diapering, hand washing, brushing teeth, and other preventative health practices.
• Help promote literacy within the classroom.
• Attend monthly site meetings.
• Assist with maintaining required paperwork and meeting deadlines.
• Assume responsibilities and duties upon the absence of the Teacher.
• Establish and maintain a positive, productive working relationship with all staff.
• Arrange for coverage of the classroom with instructions for the substitute. Notify the LAM and other staff at your site about your absence and who will be substituting for the day.
• Work with children who are “at Risk” or have special needs.
• Assist families with transition between Early Head Start, Head Start, and other preschool programs.
• Meet with Family Advocate weekly to discuss specific needs of families or attendance issues, and collaborate to resolve any areas of concern.
• Additional duties as assigned.
COMPENSATION: Annual contract with a maximum contract of up to 251 days for full day full year classrooms, 185 for center base classrooms. Salary based on experience in accordance to OVEC’s Head Start/Early Head Start Classified Employee Salary Schedule.
To apply for this job please visit www.ovec.org.