Ohio Valley Educational Cooperative Head Start
OHIO VALLEY EDUCATIONAL COOPERATIVE
HEALTH SPECIALIST – LPN
PROGRAM: Head Start/Early Head Start
RESPONSIBLE TO: Health and Nutrition Services Manager
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Licensed Practical Nurse degree required. The Specialist must hold a current Basic Life Support CPR/AED Certification for the Medical Professional. A minimum of three years’ experience in clinical nursing/school nursing is also preferred. The Specialist must possess leadership, management and communication skills.
The Health Specialist must be able to stand, sit, bend and walk for periods of time to meet job requirements. Must have current physical and TB test, and be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Must possess a valid driver’s license, automobile liability insurance and have reliable transportation to travel to and from work, home visits, trainings and meetings (will receive mileage reimbursement based on OVEC’s travel policy). All Head Start positions must clear and pass state criminal history records check and sex offender registry check prior to hire date and pass Child Abuse and Neglect state registry check (CAN) within 90 days of hire.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Specialist will provide education, support, and training for staff and families on best practices in nutrition and preventive health care and ensure collaboration among program staff, community agencies and health providers. The specialist is responsible for ensuring the program’s compliance with federally mandated Head Start Performance Standards in the area of Health/Nutrition and must have the ability to design and conduct training of staff and parents on health, nutrition, and related issues.
• Know Head Start Performance Standards as well as Kentucky Childcare Licensing regulations and Head Start and OVEC Policies and Procedures.
• Know and understand Child Care Licensing, Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT), ITERS (Infant Toddler Environmental Rating Scale), and ECERS (Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale) as applicable to position.
• Assist with and support families so that enrolled children have access to comprehensive health and dental services. As needed, initiate contracts with collaborating school districts, medical professionals, local health department, school food service directors, and the nutrition consultant in provision of medical, dental, and nutrition services.
• Facilitate completion of health, dental, and nutrition screenings within required timelines; work with Head Start and Early Head Start staff to ensure that all immunizations and other medical and dental follow-up is completed.
• Provide training and support for pregnant women, including referral to prenatal care, when needed.
• Work with Nutritionist, OVEC Office Coordinator, and School District Food Service Personnel to ensure that medical and religious based diets are met to the maximum extent possible in accordance with USDA regulations and Head Start Performance Standards.
• Maintain necessary and accurate records pertinent to the health components for program information and assessment purposes.
• Recommend and facilitate purchasing of needed health equipment within budget constraints.
• Assist with staff and parent training concerning health, safety, first aid and emergency medical procedures. Act as a resource and provide orientation and training to staff responsible for implementing health services plans and requirements. Assist teachers in the implementation of health education curriculum. Confer with and counsel staff and parents regarding health issues. Make home visits as needed.
• Promote parent involvement in all aspects of the health program by serving as a member of Program Planning Committee.
• Additional duties as assigned.
COMPENSATION: Annual contract with a maximum contract of 220 days. Salary based on rank and experience in accordance to OVEC’s Head Start/Early Head Start Certified Employee Salary Schedule.
To apply for this job please visit www.ovec.org.