Working Calendar: 261 Days/ 8.0 Hours
Salary Schedule 1B Grade 2 – This salary schedule is for internal candidates only, external candidates must enter into sub custodial pool at sub custodial rate.
SALARY PAY RANGE ($14.35/hr.)
At this time bids on this custodial opening are being accepted from presently employed custodians, sub-custodians, and JCPS employees with the required housekeeping training.
The purpose of the Plant Operator Trainee Program is three-fold: (1) to provide formal and on-the-job training, for a minimum of sixty-five (65) workdays, designed to prepare personnel for Plant Operator positions, (2) to provide substitutes for temporarily absent Plant Operators, and (3) to provide skill enhancement opportunities for custodial employees.
The following procedures apply to the program:
- The Plant Operator Trainee Program is by application only. Applicants must have the following minimum qualifications:
- High School Diploma, G.E.D.
- Two (2) years of current experience as a custodian in a school environment or comparable experience in business and industry
- Working knowledge or ability to understand heating, ventilation and air conditioning units
- Ability to perform preventative maintenance tasks
- Applicants having the minimum qualifications listed above will be given consideration for admission to the Program based on the following:
- A satisfactory score on the written Plant Operator test (SAGE) (must be on file or to schedule a SAGE test, call 485-3400.)
- The recommendation of their current supervisor, or if not presently employed, their most recent employer (no disciplinary action in last 12 months)
- The recommendation of an interview committee
3. Applicants selected for participation in the program, will be classified as Custodian Floater and placed at the appropriate salary grade for the position. They will receive five (5) days of classroom and training laboratory instruction. Those successfully completing this five (5) days of instruction will then be provided sixty (60) days of on-the-job Plant Operator training, thirty (30) days of which will be in elementary schools and thirty (30) days in secondary schools. All training assignments will be made by Housekeeping Services.
4. At the end of this sixty (60) day training period, successful Trainees will return to a custodial assignment or remain in the custodial pool until they are selected for a permanent position. Unsuccessful Trainees will be returned either to their previous assignment or to the first available custodial vacancy. Custodians that have completed the Plant Operator Trainee Program, but are not selected for a Plant Operator position within two (2) years of completing the training will be required to reapply to the plant Operator trainee program.