Website Visually Impaired Preschool Services (VIPS)
Early Intervention for children who are blind/visually impaired
Visually Impaired Preschool Services (VIPS)
Development Manager Job Description
Summary: VIPS is currently seeking a stellar team member to join a growing organization that has been proven to change the lives of the youngest children with blindness and visual impairment across Kentucky and Indiana. This passionate team member will oversee and actively engage in VIPS’ donor programs and manage its fundraising initiatives. Flexibility and teamwork are the hallmarks of our culture so we are looking for a candidate willing to engage a diverse team of professionals across multiple locations to insure agency-wide development success. The successful candidate will be responsible for development of VIPS’ fundraising strategies, campaigns, communicating with current and prospective donors, and building a stronger development initiative for the organization. This position involves managing individual, corporate and foundation gifts, annual giving campaigns, planned gifts and fund raising events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Estimated Percentage for reference only): Development/Fundraising (80%), Management of development and fundraising team members (15%) and writing grants (5%). Other duties may be assigned.
- Strategizes, directs, monitors and controls all activities related to the development plan for VIPS including forecasting and evaluating the potential of fund raising campaigns and activities as it relates to the return on investment of the development plan.
- Cultivates and maintains donor relations with major gift prospects through visits, special events and letters as well as recruiting and developing sponsors for events.
- Responsible for working with the team for all grants/foundation activity, which may include research of potential funding sources, preparation of proposals, upkeep of reporting requirements and oversight of the inter-office Grants Committee. Will create and track gift proposals to corporations and foundations and prepares reports for funding sources as requested.
- Creates, with team assistance, all printed materials supporting development activities, including communications within the donor management software system.
- Regularly interrelates with staff, board and volunteers with regard to development and fund raising activities.
- Generates development & fund raising reports as needed throughout the year.
- Manages development/event support staff. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and work, appraising performance, addressing complaints, resolving problems during development initiatives, and fundraising campaigns.
- Participates as a member of the leadership team. Attends leadership team meetings and supports other areas of VIPS as needed. Will directly supervise the development team which includes Regional Managers, the Event Coordinator and those responsible for grant writing, and carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Participates on board subcommittees as needed.
- Creates a strategic development plan and assists the Executive Director and Controller in the budgeting process. Sets annual goals, plans for necessary changes to best meet the needs of the organization and monitors budget throughout the year.
- Incorporates advancements and changes that are pertinent to raising money within the community, to the organization’s mission and programs, and to the development profession.
- Represents VIPS as a speaker before civic organizations, at community meetings and in other forums to increase awareness and understanding of the work of VIPS.
Oversees and works with the team members in Development, Marketing/Social Media & Events to provide guidance, assistance and direction:
- in the writing and distribution of media releases,
- in planning and strategizing of print advertising
- in the posting of all social media
- in creating invitations and event posts
Oversees the webmaster’s content through:
- strategizing the content and context of the website with the team
Represent VIPS when needed for video shoots and news coverage.
Other duties may be assigned.
Job Competencies: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty as set forth. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Will possess a Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from a four-year College or University in development, public relations and/or fund-raising or comparable field. Master’s degree or CFRE preferred.
Development experience is a must with a minimum of 3 years.
Language Skills: Must be able to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. The ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals is necessary. Will be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, donors, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Basic math skills are necessary including the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Will be able to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Must be able to read and understand basic financial statements.
Reasoning Ability: Will possess the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: Basic computer skills with experience in donor database oversight.
Other Skills and Abilities: Experience with planning and measurement of objectives is needed. Must show concern for issues of blindness and its impact on the family and community as a whole and possess the ability to work with volunteers.
Other Qualifications: Given the overall mission of VIPS, must be adaptable and creative with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Will possess excellent relationship skills and develop a positive atmosphere with donors, volunteers, clients, and all others with whom the employee comes in contact while representing VIPS.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
For more information or to apply for this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com